Thursday, April 25, 2024

My Introduction to Mexico

Life has been marching along since I last wrote here. I purchased a small mobile home in Florida, replacing the travel trailer. My father at 94 passed, which has had a profound influence on me. Ray broke his same femur (left thigh) twice and managed to acquire a nasty infection in the bone. My travel schedule has largely been between Costa Rica, Long Island, Florida and occasional visits to North Carolina - which is enough. (Although I could add a dose of hospital visits to the list!) But I did travel to Mexico City with a friend on a guided tour recently.

Paddy and I overlooking the Zocalo







It seems fitting to me to begin with my recent Mexican visit. My good friend, Paddy asked me if I'd be interested, and I jumped at the chance. We signed up with a group, Road Scholar, which adds educational elements to “just” being a tourist. The trip focused on the history, arts and the culture of CDMX (Mexico City).


Our rather modern hotel, owned by a Spanish hotel chain, was central located in the Historic District. And boy was it historic!  My very limited history education of over fifty years ago certainly did not include much Mexican history. Once again, I am reminded of how insular many of us from the US are when it comes to other cultures. Another reason travel is so good! 

 

Alma Lilia Roura - our extremely
 knowledgeable historian



Our hardworking guides taking a well deserved break


No comments:

Post a Comment