Sunday, November 7, 2021

 On the Boat Again…


Peregrine sails again....


As soon as Robin left, the sailboat finally launched, which involved several days of cleaning, putting on sails and rigging. First, we had to purge a colony of ants that had taken up residence in the bilge. Although we managed to eliminate the main nest, the rest of the summer included our little hitchhikers accompanying us on every sail. Hardy little f**ckers! Amazing that every  spring we do this Kathy and I forget how it’s all done - despite documenting with notes and photos that we inevitably can’t find! After all that anticipation and hard work, getting out on the water, putting up the sails and enjoying the sounds and motion of the sea makes it all worthwhile. We call ourselves the "Senior Sabre Sisters," for good reason. (Sabre being the type of sailboat)






KB catches the sunset


Sociability……


It’s very easy for me to get caught up in a social whirlwind here. Just living in the campground I continually run into friends/neighbors and easily spend hours chatting, along with the random get togethers for communal picnic dinners and campfires. I feel an urgency to be in touch with my NY friends that I only see during my few months here. It’s already well into August now and I still haven’t even connected with a few important (to me) friends. I view my time in the US as very important. I love living in CR, but my friends and family connection here are equally as important.   




I have deliberately been taking out a few days for myself to lay back and just hang out, reading, napping, caching up on bills, phone calls, cooking and  generally doing as little as possible. I find that changing lifestyles from CR to the US takes a lot of energy, and I get into a hyper energy state, that eventually results in burnout and stress. So kicking back every now and then is well worth it. 



Maintaining the "Fleet".....

Aside from Peregrene, that I share with KB, Ray has a Hobie 18 catamaran, we also have a couple of paddle boards and several kayaks. The bottom of the Hobie was starting to wear through to the fiberglass from years of running up on the sand and rocks, so we undertook a few days of fiberglass repair. Unfortunately, we chose the hottest days of the summer, so it was a constant race to finish up the laminate before the resin set. Between getting a new sail and its new bottom, the old Hobie is ready to fly again.


Might as well repair the rudders, too

And the ding in  the paddle board





Brand new sail! and a happy camper!



Time to unwind















No comments:

Post a Comment