Monday, November 8, 2021

 A Good Mom….

A contributing reason for our diminished reunion was Alex’s cancellation. He had to bail last minute because he was attacked one night in Ventura walking home from a brewery. This resulted in a number of frenzied, anxious phone calls as he spent a few days in the hospital to have the left side of his face put back together. A disturbing factor, in addition to the injuries sustained in the attack, was there was no room at the hospital because it was filled up with Covid patients! A sad commentary. 


Sam spent the first couple of weeks helping him to recuperate, then I flew out to CA for a week in mid-September to add some company and moral support. 




It turned out to be a very pleasant, mellow week. As I was staying with Alex in close quarters I tried to give him some space, going for long walks every day, often bringing my camera and binoculars. In the past when I have visited Alex, we have always left town for a road trip, so staying in town was a novelty for me.


Lots of fishing boats use the harbor


I spent early morning hours walking the beaches, which were enshrouded with fog hanging over the chilly, glassy ocean. Most beachgoers at that time were dog walkers and surfers  - and me. The room Alex stayed in was situated on the harbor so I spent many hours ogling the hundreds of sailboats, and the bands of sea lions that inhabited any empty dock. I could watch these gregarious, noisy, jostling creatures for hours. Inert and blob-like when dozing, when they slide into the water they transform into mammalian slinkies. We roamed around town, walked some beaches together, ate at a couple of nice restaurants, and even did his laundry one afternoon.  



Sidewalk chalk art

Ventura Pier

Looking back toward town

Ground squirrels under rocks everywhere






I was particularly impressed with the Sprinter van that Alex has converted into a very practical camper. We spent quite a few hours both exploring the area and hanging out in the van. Alex keeps his ebike tethered to the rear rack, for his everyday getting around town. And I now totally get why electric bikes are so popular. I rented an ebike one day in a beautiful small mountain town, Ojai, and we rode around the countryside. Not a big bike rider, it was really pleasant to get the added boost of speed, especially up the hills in 90 degree temperatures!


Sitting on the roof is a nice perspective




Beautiful Interior

Alex belays a friend up the rock

Alex doing what he likes best









Yours truly



Time Squeeze….


Returning to LI, with only a few weeks left, I tried to do as much sailing as possible, catching up with old friends, last minute repairs and maintenance to the RV, packing, organizing “stuff” for Costa Rica, and the almost traditional Pear Chutney Extravaganza. KB has a very productive pear tree that begs one to utilize as much fruit as possible. Chutney is the answer. Kathy and spent an entire day cutting, boiling and canning I believe somewhere near 30 jars of chutney that are shared with friends and family. Unfortunately, for me I can’t easily bring any to CR. 


A weakfish! Catch and Release



We did get in a couple of fishing trips

With the now familiar emotions of regret and sadness for leaving family and friends on LI, on October 13 I dropped Ray off at the airport, and drove to PA to meet a friend, Bonnie, and sister, Terry. We spent a day exploring the Scranton area, then headed south to Terry’s home in NC. 












All in a day's work



No comments:

Post a Comment