Friday, February 21, 2020

Greetings From Costa Rica: February 2020: Part One




GREETINGS FROM COSTA RICA: PART ONE

February 13, 2020

Well, where to begin? I hate to forewarn you, but this is a long one in two parts!!! I'm trying my hand at the BlogSpot to see if it's easier to use than email......

















Weather in FL was very warm well into January, so I spent lots of time beaching: swimming, birding, walking and soaking up the rays. “The girls” joined me and we all survived, even thrived!, together in our little dwelling. We joined Melissa’s yoga class at the campground a couple of times a week - a treat. Lots of hiking, birding and some great meals at home and out. Some good music venues - thanks to Ms. R., and, for me - a huge treat was a Jessie Cook concert (Flamenco guitar). Although we missed having Terry at the campground, she and Ron were nearby, so we had some good visits. 

Eli, my "grand" nephew? feeds the gulls
We even visited the circus

A few funny incidents: M, K and I found a wallet with lots of important stuff in it at the beach. What to do? After looking up online, we called the credit card company to report and ask them to possibly contact the owner. No luck. Went to the local police, but no solution. Meanwhile, sitting on the console that wallet kept reminding us “we should do something.” Finally, we returned to the beach and turned it over to the park police who promised to return it. Whew!

At the Sarasota Botanical Gardens
Cool night on the roof in Bradenton













Reddish Egret on the hunt


Every year, I appreciate the “Creek” and its inhabitants more and more. I wish there was more time in my rather overcrowded year to stay and hang out there. Just being able to drop the kayak in anytime is a rare treat. And I’d love to get to know some of my neighbors more…… As usual, wherever I go, there are some really interesting, good people. 


KB at her best....



Always a little bittersweet, I left Florida on the 1st and headed north. As a creature of habit my traveling buddy KB and I stopped by St. Augustine for a welcome visit with G. Always too short, we still managed to catch up and have some great “life” discussions. 




Bike covered in sponge

Sponges for sale in Tarpon Springs
Once in NC, I spent a couple of days shopping for last minute things, packing and repacking. Especially pertinent this year because I was hauling 100 pounds of car parts (ball joints, front axle, fuel pump (again!), and miscellaneous bits and pieces. 


Five inches of rain seemed a little excessive!
(Much like CR)
Night out with KB and Ron

Turns out the keyboard player is also Eli's music teacher



Also, because I’m going on to Newfoundland after CR, I had to bring cold weather clothes. Yet another big roll-on duffle bag to add to our collection. The problem is we bring these bags down to CR loaded, but don’t bring them back, so they accumulate.  


Yet Another Lifestyle Adjustment…

After spending a couple of days visiting Dad in NC, and of course, packing and repacking, I arrived in SJO along with R and B, and met up with a rather frazzled (might I say, grumpy?) Ray. Since the girls only had a few days with us we tried to cram in quite a lot. We managed to show them a few local sights, spent some time with a good friend, D, and sent them off to SJO on the small plane for their “real” tour of CR. 

R and B being touristas















Boat trip around the Golfo Dulce








2/8/2020: What a noisy place!


Unknown to us this past “fin de semana” (weekend) downtown Pavones hosted a fiesta which attracted many local young men and their friends on their noisy little Honda 150 motorbikes roaring past us in a cloud of dust, along with lots more sedate vehicles. Unfortunately, the local youth were out partying late, which meant the same noises went on during the night. This, in turn, set off all the neighborhood dogs yapping away. I must admit our little vigilant Boquette was probably the number one instigator. I remember the movie 101 Dalmations, where the dogs sent barking messages over the “telegraph.” Luckily, things calmed down by Sunday night. It does seem though that every year when I return there is more traffic on our little calle. It figures as more Gringos move in, and the children of the local (often large) families are now grown up and driving.







2 comments: